Have you ever wanted to manage the recruiting and talent development of a fully integrated consumer and business facing marketing company supported by a supply chain that stretches from the US to Europe and across the Southern Hemisphere? Deep-dive into the intricate details of staffing the production and manufacturing of physical goods (specifically wine) while maintaining the nimbleness of a data-driven, digital company? And help a young, fast-growing company navigate the complex tradeoffs involved in business and channel expansion? Well, then, come say hi!
Penrose Hill is looking for a versatile Manager of People to report directly to the CFO and lead our recruitment, professional development, culture development and facilities projects. You will play a key role in leading all people functions including organizational planning, staffing, and compensation, development of the management team and staff, and helping build a scalable framework for all our organization’s needs.
As our first dedicated hire into people management, this position offers massive scope for expansion of the role. We’re a rapidly growing company—if you’re passionate, hardworking, and capable, with an affinity for team building, we’ll give you the resources to grow this role according to your vision.
You’ll play a key role in strategic and tactical decision-making, helping the management team recruit and evaluate key hires, and giving us a framework to build a multi-faceted organization. A few examples will illustrate some of your challenges:
- Build out key departments including marketing, operations, production and member services, on both East and West coasts, and on occasion off-shore.
- Work with head of our Trade team to staff sales, sales support and business development talent.
- Create an organizational strategy for a company that is doubling in size versus prior year and growing the team while being conscious of our targets for cash burn rate.
- Develop a culture of energy and fast development cycles while facilitating exceptional communication and a supportive work environment.
About Penrose Hill:
Penrose Hill is building the most customer centric wine company. Collaborating with famed winemakers and sourcing from vineyards around the globe, our wines have won hundreds of awards, including multiple 95+ point scores, Best in Show and Winery of the Year. Penrose sells through retail, restaurants and direct to the consumer, including via our wine club, Firstleaf. and others.
Penrose Hill is backed by Tribeca Venture Partners, Greycroft Partners, Primary Venture Partners and Loeb Enterprises among other investors.
About your skills:
- Experienced: 5+ years of Human Resources experience in a fast-paced environment, ideally in early stage or high growth technology / eCommerce companies; 2+ years managing a team.
- Incredible communication skills: Not only are you good at creating and presenting HR-related analysis clearly, but you’ll be working with team members in a leadership capacity on all people related matters.
- Broad-based background: You’ll partner with senior leadership and managers to provide guidance and coaching on recruiting and retention, compensation, organizational structure, change management, employee relations, training and development, performance evaluation and HR policies.
- Recruiting: Finding talent will be a critical role for you working closely with the managers to optimize the new hire experience and successful onboarding. Experience with recruiting strategies and practices and talent management is essential.
- Administrative functions: You’ll manage the office administration function and also work to ensure accurate employee record keeping and employment law compliance.
- Employee development: You would provide guidance / coaching to all employees in regard to general employee relations matters; conflict resolution; leadership development; and career growth.
- Employee compensation and benefits: Experience in the development and implementation of salary administration will be important. Also, reviewing, negotiating and administering a comprehensive range of employee benefits; managing broker relationships and ensuring competitive features and rates.
- Company culture: You’ll shape the company culture with policies, practices and recommendations to accomplish company goals.
- Flexible: You will need strong organizational skills and ability to juggle a wide range of tasks and re-prioritize them on short notice.
- Start-up: Experience in venture-backed startup environment is helpful; comfortable with resource constraints and willing to do more with less.
- Flexible and ready to learn: We’re a startup, so things are always changing. You’re not just capable of, but excited about taking risks and learning new skills to solve any complex problems you come across.
- Solutions-oriented: You’re not someone who accepts a bad, legacy system. You look for root causes and build long-term solutions for the whole organization.
We offer a full benefits package with no constraints on what vacation you take.