Creative Design Manager
Are you excited to push yourself to create many, varied and unique concepts - each one different than the last - and all equally successful? Are you ready to test your artistic and project management chops within a fast-paced concept-to-completion design cycle? Does your left-brain guide your right-brain? Do you love data and design…and wine?
You will play a key role in the creative, tactical and strategic approach to design and production of (creative, unique, compelling, on trend, traditional…) wine brands. The Creative Brand Manager will work directly with the Creative Director on concept development, brand story, design, production cycles, market fit of approx. 100 brands this year. We are not developing one brand with 100 variations; we are creating 100 different and distinct brands.
- Participate in ideation, name generation, brand story, romance copy and brand development with an eye towards compliance requirements, wine specifications, regionality and varietal design traditions and trends.
- Manage design production. Participate in design execution and/or direct freelance artists to produce wine brand designs (illustrations, calligraphy, custom logos or artwork, fonts, stock assets) and final print ready files within a fast-paced production schedule. Multiple projects in the queue simultaneously.
- Create and host basic online surveys, consumer and industry focus groups as an integrated step in the design process. Aptitude for data driven strategy required.
- Manage asset library and provide requested graphic support to our trade, partnership and marketing teams.
A day in the life
Our winemaker has created four blends using three Spanish grapes, and we will bottle these in six weeks. After engaging in name generation and concept storytelling, what brands will we create for these wines? Will they be modern, crafted for the adventurous drinker, or classic, refined and traditional? What will the name, story and design draw from the region, varietal, history, geography, social and lifestyle cues, trends or fads? Working with freelance designers, under the direction of the Creative Director and your own inspiration, how will the designs differ from the run-of-the-mill concepts? From other national brands on the market? Once you have several distinct concepts, you run a quantifiable and qualifiable survey for industry and consumer feedback. How will you parse the responses and focus market fit? How will you leverage this test for this one brand and apply the learnings to the next ones?
Our VP of Trade has an idea - he wants to create a brand that has a philanthropic component. What questions will you ask to understand and meet VPs needs and determine market fit? What survey or focus group testing will you include in our brand development? How will the final packaging stand out amongst national brands and cause marketing brands on the shelves in the retail space?
- Organized Production Management We are not painting a still life, this is gesture drawing at its most dynamic and creative with an eye for product AND process. Ability to direct freelance artists from concept through completion.
- Solutions-oriented You are not a person who accepts a bad, legacy system or approach to production, you look for flaws and offer long-term solutions that will improve efficiencies, costs and quality.
- Brand Development Participate and contribute to naming, brand and brand story generation. Craft and manage qualitative and quantitative survey in order to further develop a compelling brand. Previous product development or package design experience preferred.
- Flexible & ready to learn You are both right and left brained. Eagerness to handle day-to-day tasks and team communication, prioritize and able to pivot quickly, meet deadlines in an extremely fast-paced & demanding environment.
- Design Skills Strong typography, color and graphic design sensibilities – Illustrator and Photoshop experience. 3D mock-up skills a plus.
- Alcohol Industry Previous experience in the alcohol or luxury consumer market A HUGE PLUS. Familiarity or ability to learn compliance requirements for alcohol labeling & marketing, COLA requirements, TTB and trademark research and print process.
PLEASE NOTE: Bachelor’s Degree and 2-3 years relevant experience. This is the perfect position for someone with a couple of years experience who really wants to grow into the role. Salary is in the mid to high $60s.
Remote position with regular meetings in and around Napa - SF Bay Area - must be able to commute to Napa at least monthly.
Remote position requires reliable internet and telephone access, self-direction, excellent communication and time-management skills a must.
Adobe CC, MS Office, Apple, Google platforms & various project management apps.
-Competitive salary with bonus
-Health, Vision and Dental